In the fast-changing world we live in, it has become increasingly important to adopt new technologies in various segments to stay abreast with development and growth. Our ever-increasing dependence on technology has spilt into various aspects of our lives from transportation to design to manufacturing. Let's have a look at how augmented reality can shape our future.
Education is a rapidly evolving segment where technological adoption is becoming more apparent than ever.
Tools like Machine Learning, 3-D and Augmented Reality have taken this space by storm and opened up avenues unlike any other.
But before we understand how Augmented Reality has impacted education, let’s take a look at what Augmented Reality is.
Augmented Reality or AR is a branch of Artificial Intelligence that deals with creating interactive experience-based models of the real-world environment in a virtual world.
Through Augmented Reality, real-world objects are supplemented by computer-generated information that helps perceive the environment such as auditory senses, olfactory senses, visual senses, and motion senses. The use of sensory stimuli helps people perceive these environments in the virtual world as close as possible to the perception of such environments in the real world.
Augmented Reality in Education
The education industry, more specifically the EdTech Industry, has seen a boom in the use of Augmented Reality in the recent past. This development of education through augmented reality is in its nascent stages and might become one of the key breakthroughs of the century in education.
The ability of AR to present visual information interactively to students has played a crucial role in making learning possible, especially during COVID times.
Content that is rich in multimedia has enabled students of all abilities to learn through AR. Whether it’s visual, listening, or experiential.
According to the AR in Education- Global Market Trajectory and Analytics report, the market for AR in Education globally is projected to be almost $42 bn by 2027.
Is Augmented Reality making education more attractive for both students and teachers?
Augmented Reality has pushed educators to go from a two-dimensional world where they impart education using traditional methods to a dynamic environment of experiential learning. This immersive learning experience enables children to go beyond just knowing about concepts to seeing applications of these concepts in the virtually real world.
Many technologies for Augmented Reality Systems such as headsets, optical mounted systems, and handheld displays are used in education. Several systems also use computer-generated graphics overlaid onto real-world environments to create a simulation. Many a time, pinch gloves are also used to pick up and place virtual objects in augmented reality.
The ability to seamlessly interact between the virtual and real worlds has opened doors for educators to make their classes more interactive and fun for children.
What is needed to propel augmented reality in education is a systematic approach to incorporating this learning technology at various levels. A well-designed AR system can serve multiple purposes and help students understand, absorb and retain information.
The use of AR is not limited to a set of people. It can be used at all levels of education- from primary to college.
Many applications now enable 3-D viewing of real-life objects simply by scanning them. They can view and understand an object, animal or even concept simply by scanning a flashcard or experiencing computer graphics.
Benefits of Augmented Reality
Augmented reality has benefitted educators and students alike. Here’s how:
- Accessibility: Augmented Reality has made it possible for students with different abilities to understand concepts and retain information better. Visually impaired learners can immerse in a holistic experience and play to their strengths with other senses working to understand information. Students with cognitive challenges can experience classroom simulation and education to feel included and at par with neurotypical students.
- Immersive learning: Augmented reality helps teachers create a fun and immersive environment for learning. This has proven to help children pay more attention and look forward to learning. Immersive learning also has higher retention rates and helps children understand concepts in real life. This is highly beneficial as compared to a two-dimensional concept that is just taught.
- Improved collaboration
AR paired with other technologies such as Machine Learning and 3-D has proved to improve collaboration between teachers and students and teachers and pedagogies. Systems like attention recognition, eye movement scanners can help teachers identify what information engrosses students and what might need working upon.
- Safe for training
While training for risky jobs augmented reality helps trainees prepare in a safe environment to understand what is to come. This has proven to be a safe and effective training method in organizations across roles and duties.
- Supplements existing pedagogy
AR combined with other technologies has not replaced traditional education yet. But it has the potential to become a solid supplementary to the existing pedagogy making it more holistic and inclusive.
With all these benefits, AR also poses some challenges. These are:
- Hardware dependence
- AR is heavily dependent on high-quality hardware that may not be accessible to all.
- Costs to incorporate AR at various levels of education
- The costs to incorporate augmented reality at various levels of education is high. Because of this reason, many institutions are yet to adopt this technology.
- The current quality of Augmented Reality content is not up to the mark or extensive
- Since AR is a nascent concept, the quality of AR content is not extensive. Another issue is that it might not always seamlessly translate across devices. This can be a challenge for educators.
Augmented Reality is the future of education, and it holds the key to inclusive, holistic learning across institutions.
With advancements in technology and rapid adoption of AI, ML, and 3-D, we are sure to see a boom in the use of Augmented Reality in Education soon.
Also read: K-12 Education And Digital Interaction: Overview And Beyond (tooli.qa)
Tooliqa specializes in AI, Computer Vision and Deep Technology to help businesses simplify and automate their processes with our strong team of experts across various domains.
Want to know more on how AI can result in business process improvement? Let our experts guide you.
Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.